According to MADD, drunk driving is the leading cause of death on our roadways. In 2013, over 28,700,000 people admitted to driving after they’ve had too much to drink. That is more than the population of Texas.
For too long, lawyers have had to watch family members grieve the wrongful death or permanent lifelong injury of family members. The odd thing is, quite frequently the drunk driver will walk away from auto accidents while their victim is injured or even killed. If you are hurt, you need help. Ornelas Law firm is here for you.Contact Our Team
Types Of Impairments
- Vision – Even with one or two drinks your ability to track moving targets declines
- Hearing – Hearing impairment is dangerous since they can’t hear sirens or other vehicles around them
- Reaction Times – With just 3 drinks, your reaction times are already getting affected. This includes swerving or stopping a car.
- Aggression – Alcohol directly contributes to a person’s aggression, not only mood but also driving style.
- Judgment – At only 3 drinks you are already potentially making bad choices.
- Alertness – The ability to pay attention to what lane you are in, if a child is on the road, or even if a motorcycle is passing you.
Just What Are The Blood Alcohol Standards?
Across America, the legal limit for blood alcohol concentration (better known as BAC) is .08 or higher. So, if your blood alcohol level is at or above the .08 level, you are breaking the law. However, we all know that alcohol affects people differently.
- BAC of .01 to .03 – Impairment is subtle but you do still get affected. That little bit of impairment may have been the thing that the person that hit you needed to keep from hurting your family.
- With a BAC of .03 to .06 – The person that was drinking starts to “feel” the alcohol. Again, while a person may have a BAC of .06 and is under the legal definition of impaired, that doesn’t mean that it wasn’t the reason they injured you.
- With a BAC of .06-.10 – The person is drunk. There are obvious physical effects and impairments. Whether it is the drunk driver’s perception, distance viewing, reasoning skills, or even their ability to handle normal road glare, they shouldn’t be driving. No way, no how.
If this person gets behind the wheel of a car, they turn that car into a weapon plain and simple. If you have been injured by a person using a deadly weapon, you would do everything in your power to get the help you deserve. Why should a drunk driver be any different?
Drunk Driver Accident Attorney
You shouldn’t be afraid of the drunk’s insurance company. You can’t let the drunk’s lawyers badger you into giving up not only your rights but the money that you deserve. At Cesar Ornelas Law, our accident lawyers have the best legal resources and experience to fight your case. You need a strong lawyer on your side willing to fight. No matter where you are, that lawyer is Cesar Ornelas.